Helpful advice for equestrians.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Favorite and/or Worst Experience with Horses

Many of us have had horses cross our paths in some way, whether through a pony ride at a local fair to actually owning your own horse. These experiences can sometimes be funny stories told to get a few laughs or scary memories that make us shutter every time we look back. When thinking about this topic myself, I thought of a story my mom told me about when she went away to camp one year as a child. She and a few other campers went out on a trail ride through the woods. While they were on their way back to camp, my mom's pony took off with her and galloped the whole way back to the barn. All she was able to do is sit back and hold on for dear life. As it turned out she was perfectly fine. The pony just wanted to get back home. The incident though appears to have made my mom nervous about riding a horse now. Although she does enjoy spending time at the stable where I board my horse, Shai and help with her care.

Do any of you have any interesting stories to share about horses in your life?

8 comments:

  1. I had never had many experiences with horses until I moved to Oxford, PA when I was in 5th grade. We bought a house with the back view of a horse farm. I have been able to pet them and feed them whenever I want, but I've always had a fear of them. A friend of mine got really hurt by being thrown off a horse, so the thought of not having a fence separating me from the horse terrifies me. They're beautiful animals, but definitely powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had done anything with horses in my life. However, I do remember going to 2 horse races somewhere when I was younger, although I do not remember where haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been horseback riding a few times in my life and loved it each time. Its been a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was little I went to a farm school so we would take field trips to the actual farm. One night, in fourth grade we slept overnight and in the morning we got up really early and milked the horse. Or maybe it was a cow... shoot i can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So one time, at band camp,

    No -- sorry. Anyway, my aunt and uncle have horses that are literally the largest creatures I've ever seen in my life. Whenever I used to ride on one of their horses, I would always feel kinda scared because of how tall they actually were, and how little I was. If I had the chance to own horses as beautiful and as large as my aunt's and uncle's, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to go horseback riding a little bit several years ago, but when I stopped seeing the girlfriend the horseback riding ended as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather used to race horses, and while beautiful he said, "if you want to watch horses run, watch someone elses... they're expensive"

    ReplyDelete
  8. People all have different perspectives on horses and how they are affected by them. Some people are afraid because of the horse's large size and can recall scary experiences. Others think they are beautiful creatures and admire them from afar. Some people may be wishing they could have a horse of their very own, but know that they are very expensive and require a lot of work and attention. For those of us that are fortunate enough to have a horse to call our own, we know how valuable an equine friend is. Not because of fancy breeding or worth in dollars, but because of the wonderful time and experiences they give us. Horses are indeed very special creatures and I feel very blessed to have my own.

    ReplyDelete